CSI Shanthi Church
Our Story

An inheritance
to retain.

The story of Shanthi Church is the story of families, pastors and pioneers who built a place of peaceful worship through prayer, generosity and perseverance.

The beginning

From Sunday School to Shanthi Devalaya.

The Wilson Garden congregation developed from a Sunday School and initially met in a rented car shed. In its early years, worship also took place in homes while the congregation worked toward a permanent church.

1959–1975

The Beginning

The first phase began with a small Christian congregation in Wilson Garden. The church site was acquired and a temporary prayer hall was established.

5 June 1963

Foundation Stone

The foundation stone for the church was laid as the congregation continued building its permanent home.

1976

Church Building Dedicated

The next phase saw the completed church building and parsonage take shape through coordinated fundraising and congregational support.

2007

Reconstruction & Expansion

The church was reconstructed as a larger AC church with parish hall and sexton’s quarters, expanding the worship space substantially.

A community-built legacy

Built by many hands.

The historical record repeatedly credits members who gave money, furniture, instruments, fittings, labour and time. The legacy of Shanthi Church is therefore not only architectural — it is communal.

The church history also records the creation of fellowships, mission work, building campaigns and major renovation efforts. These contributions form the living memory of the congregation.

Historical phases

Three broad chapters

Phase I1959–1975 · The Beginning
Phase II1976–2006 · The Augmentation
Phase III2007–2019 · The Ramification